Altona, which was previously unheard of by many Australians, was thrown into the limelight when Julia Gillard, an Altona resident, became the first female Prime Minister of Australia. Will she be the shortest serving Prime Minister of Australia? Will Altona's name fade away from the media's attention or will Altona once again become a hive of journalists' activities?
From US State Dept, photo by Adam P. Wilson. Link to its Flickr page.
Julia Gillard had insisted on not moving from her Altona house to the Prime Minister's Lodge in Canberra, until given the mandate by the electorate during the General Election. It would be most people's dream to be residing at the highest echelon of the nation's political power. Will she get so close to realizing this dream but to slip away at the last minute? Hopefully, we can know the answer by today.
The Lodge in Canberra
Photo from lions59
- Government decision by early afternoon, says Windsor published by the Age on 7 Sep 2010
- Julia will bring refinement to lovely Altona published by the Age on 4 July 2010
- A small suburb in celebrity spotlight published by the Age on 21 Aug 2010
- Someone else can fill the fruit bowl ... published by the Age on 25 Jun 2010
- I don't live in a 'rathole': Gillard published by the Sydney Morning Herald on 19 Aug 2010